8.4.10

Smells....

This morning I made my favorite recipe of creamy pesto sauce from scratch for dinner tonight. Yeah, Dad. Add one more to the list big boy. It was actually quite easy....until I saw that I had to roast my own pine nuts. That was a chore.



The last step is to add all the ingredients in a saucepan with a cup of heavy cream. As I was stirring it, the smell hit me in the face! I don't know about anyone else, but things in my life trigger memories. Music, textures, and SMELLS. It happens to me all the time. Right when I got a good whif of this sauce, my mind instantly did a digital re-wind to this exact moment:



Florencia, Italia
2007

Most of you know that Zach and I met and got to know each other on a study abroad trip to Europe.
He convinced me to buy a pair of rollerblades and skate around London, Paris, and then Florence and Venice.
(At this time I did NOT know of his Classic Skating heritage.) Regardless of the how juvenile it sounds, rollerblading around those cities was quite possibly the best way to see them.
Florence was our last "Skate Day".
We were skating around and soon became starving. We stopped at the nearest cafe we could find and we just "rolled" right in. Literally. We didn't even take our rollerblades off the entire time we were at that cafe. We must have looked ridiculous. But, at that cafe, we both had the BEST pesto we have ever had. We still agree on that.




The only time we took our skates off was to play with a little team of Italian boys in a game of "futbol".
Check out the kid in the green shirt. Do you see what his shirt says? "Inline Skate Sliding". What the freak is that?

We're going to make pesto more often.... :)

5 comments:

  1. Katie! What a cute post. I totally want your pesto recipe... sound fabulous. We still need to get together sometime. I have the girls in a few weeks and tommy will be done with busy season. Lets try for something then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love you two. We miss you guys. And I think we need an invitation over to try this pesto! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was the lucky one who got to feast on your pesto sauce. YUMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd love to have you ALL over! Here is the recipe:

    1/4 C roasted pine nuts
    1 C fresh basil
    1 C olive oil
    1 C parmesan cheese
    3 cloves garlic

    (Add all those together in a blender. Blend until it is ALMOST smooth, but still with a little texture.)

    Once it is blended, add to a saucepan and then add 1 C heavy cream.
    Stir it until it is thick.

    If not, come to my house and I'll make it for you :)

    ReplyDelete